Spinach with Pine Nuts and Raisins
- 2 Tbs vegetable broth or water
- 1 10-ounce package baby spinach leaves (or two 5-ounce packages)
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced or crushed garlic
- 2 Tbs pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 Tbs raisins
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the broth or water and spinach in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl (if using a microwave) or pot (if using the stove). Cover the bowl with a plate, or the pot with a lid.
- Microwave the bowl on high for 1 minute, or cook the spinach in the pot over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the salt, olive oil, and/or garlic. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, topped with pine nuts, raisins, and a grind or two of fresh black pepper.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using a serving size of 1 cup.
Variation: You can also make this with a 10-ounce package of frozen, defrosted spinach. Squeeze out some of the water after the frozen spinach has thawed.
Kitchen Tip: This dish will keep for up to 5 days in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.