Tomato-Rice Soup with Pesto
- 5 large tomatoes
- 12 cloves garlic
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups diced white onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup packed, fresh basil leaves
- 5 Tbs mellow barley miso
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp mirin (Chinese cooking wine)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Core tomatoes then cut in half crosswise and squeeze to remove seeds. Chop tomatoes coarsely and set aside.
- Slice 9 cloves of garlic and set the remaining 3 cloves aside. In a 3-quart (1.8L) saucepan, combine the sliced garlic, stock, onion, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes and tomato paste to the soup. Cook, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, drop the remaining garlic into the bowl of a food processor while the motor is running. When garlic is minced, add the basil and pulse until finely chopped. Add miso, tahini and mirin. Blend well. Whisk about 1/2 cup (120mL) of the hot soup into the basil/miso mixture until smooth. Stir this back into the soup and reheat, but don’t boil.
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.