Topsy-Turvy Tamale Pie
- Spice Blend2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled between the fingers
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Filling1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup firmly packed frozen pepper strips (about one-third of a 14 ounce bag), chopped
- 1 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 1/2 cups large chunks rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels or 1 (7 ounce) can of corn, drained
- 1 (3.8 ounce) can sliced black ripe olives, drained (about 1 cup)
- Topping1 (8 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix (about 1 1/2 cups mix, enough for 6-10 muffins)
- 1 cup already-shredded sharp Cheddar or reduced-fat cheese, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced mild chile peppers, undrained
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spice BlendStir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- FillingHeat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and spice blend, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, chicken, beans, corn, and olives. Stir well to combine and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and let the mixture simmer while you make the topping, stirring occasionally. Wrap the skillet handle in foil if it is not ovenproof.
- ToppingMix the ingredients together in a small bowl, stirring in 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon the topping over the skillet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is firm but springy when touched lightly, or until a knife inserted in the center of the topping comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using reduced-fat cheese.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.