Easy Sweet Potato Harvest Rolls
These moist and irresistible rolls feature whole grains and the antioxidant powerhouse—sweet potatoes. They taste great up to 2-3 days later when warmed up briefly in the microwave or cut in half and toasted.
Total cook time
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (scoop the flesh from microwaved sweet potatoes or use canned sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup low fat milk, whole milk or fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (reduced calorie pancake syrup can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup Lucerne® egg substitute (or use 2 eggs or 1 egg + 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry or rapid rise yeast
Place the ingredients, in the order listed, into a bread machine pan, making a well in the center of the flours to put the yeast. Set the bread machine to the DOUGH cycle (about 1 hour 30 minutes) and press start.
Lightly coat two jelly-roll pans or muffin pans with canola cooking spray. When the dough is ready, lay out on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 6 equal pieces then cut each of these pieces into 3 pieces. Shape balls as desired on prepared pans (you can fold them over for parker rolls or shape into balls and place each in a muffin cup.
Let rise about 1 hour in a warm kitchen, or until doubled in size. Midway through the rising, preheat oven to 375-degrees.
Bake until golden brown (about 12-16 minutes). Serve warm!
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.