Vegan Winter Salad with Apple Poppyseed Dressing
Full of fresh, bright flavors, this salad is the perfect winter dish!
Total cook time
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 ripe pears, sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup vegan Gouda-style or feta-style cheese
- 1 cup cooked farro, cooked
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Apple Poppyseed Dressing
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
For salad, arrange ingredients in a large bowl, starting with leaf lettuce and arugula. Sprinkle pears, pomegranate, red onion slices, vegan cheese, and farro on top.
For candied walnuts, add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Heat over medium for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so the mixture doesn’t burn. When the sugar starts melting, stir constantly until all of the walnuts are coated.
For dressing, add chopped apple, vinegar, oil, maple syrup, and salt to a small food processor. Blend until smooth. Put mixture through a sieve to strain out apple chunks if desired. Fold poppyseeds into strained dressing.
Add candied walnuts to the top of the salad, and drizzle with Apple Poppyseed Dressing. Serve and enjoy!
Step 5 :: helpful hints
Apple Poppyseed Dressing may be made ahead of time; simply refrigerate until serving.
Step 6 :: helpful hints
If no pears are available, thinly sliced apples of any kind work great.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.